Thursday, March 31, 2016

Trash to Treasure!

Have you ever wondered how you could recycle plastic water or soda bottle caps in the classroom?

I saw a post on Pinterest a while back where a teacher made a math station for multiplication facts using bottle caps and well, let's just say I gave it a try and it was a big hit in my classroom!

Go from this!

To this!

Problem on the top of the cap and answer on the inside of the cap.


Just be sure to clean the bottle caps in the dishwasher!

I store them in a crystal light container that I taped directions to and I included the number of caps the station should have.

I have quite a few of these stations, so for easier sorting I used the same color caps, same color dot sticker for problems and same color dot sticker for answers.  So if students mix them up (You know that they will find a way!) it will be easier to find the caps that belong to their station.

The dot stickers come in so many colors, so there are many color combinations that are possible.

My tactile learners LOVE this activity.  They work in pairs and take turns answering.  If they get it correct, they get to stack their cap in a vertical tower (one on top of the other) or triangular tower (staggered one on top of the other).  The student that causes the tower to fall looses the game.

Hey! It works for me!  They start the game over and their integer fluency increases!  

I have some for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of integers.  So easy to make that my students even offered to make some for me!  How cool is that?!

Here are some other quick and easy prep integer activities that you can find at my Teachers Pay Teachers Store.




No comments:

Post a Comment