Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Quick Tip!

Alligator!  Pac-Man!  Arrows!  I've heard it all!  As a matter of fact, so have my students!   I'm referring to inequality symbols.  Have you ever noticed that many students STILL get confused with them even if you give them these little hints!  I think it's because they get confused with what the "alligator" or "Pac Man are eating, the larger or smaller number.  Some might also get confused about what the "arrow" is pointing to, the larger or smaller number.

Well, believe it or not, I'm going to give you another "hint".  Hold on a minute! Before you judge, let me tell you that out of my 26 years of teaching, this hint has rendered the BEST results!
Have you ever noticed that the less than symbol (<) looks like a crooked "L"?

"L" for <ess than.  (See what I did there?)  

This truly has been what I've used for over 20 years and it works for majority of my students that have the Alligator/Pac-Man/Arrow struggle.  Hey, the struggle is real!  (Sorry, couldn't resist.  If you find a method that works the same for ALL students, please fill me in!

I hope this tip helps you and your students.  Just another tip that will hopefully help solve another math problem.

Have a "Mathalicious" day!
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment