Thursday, June 23, 2016

Foam Counting Blocks Are For More Than Just Counting!

I found these at my local Dollar Tree, but I'm sure you can find similar ones else where.  I have also seen wooden counting blocks, but I prefer these for my stations since they are quieter.


When you first take them out of the package, they are sort of stuck to each other.
But they are really easy to pull apart.

Here is one option.  Create your own foam dice!

I first tap marker where I want my dots to go on the cube.

I then make the dots larger.  This helps me keep them lined up.

So there you have it! A pair of foam dice.  I used actual dice to determine the placement of the dots. Here is how they are set up, in case you don't have access to any.
1 is across from 6, 2 is across from 5, and 3 is across from 4.
These would be great to use with the Game Board I created HERE.



You don't have to use these only for dice.
There are a variety of uses.



Make fraction dice.
You can have students roll the dice and then add, subtract, multiply or divide them.

Make percent dice.
Have students roll dice, convert percent to decimals, then have them add or subtract them.
 


Make decimal dice.
Have students roll dice, then add, subtract, multiply or divide.

Here's a good one!  Give students two percent dice, two decimal dice and two fraction dice.  Have them roll and then place them in order from least to greatest!

Bright, colorful, inexpensive and so easy to make!

Here are a few tips when making your own foam dice:
  • Use a fine tip permanent marker. Thicker markers tend to bleed on the foam.
  • Wait a few seconds for ink to dry so that there are no smudges on your cube.
  • Write down numbers you would like to use on paper before creating your dice so that there are no repeats.
Thanks for looking!  Hope this was helpful!!


No comments:

Post a Comment