Friday, June 10, 2016

Affordable Dry Erase Marker Erasers

Wow!  Try saying that really fast five times!


You didn't really just try that, did you?
I was just kidding!!!


I just wanted to share an idea I used this year that was really helpful and affordable.

In previous posts, I have mentioned that I have my students write on their desks with dry erase markers.  It truly gets them engaged in lessons!  When I first tell them to solve the problem on their desk and show all of their work, they look at each other with shocked expressions on their faces.  But that soon turns into grins and they dive right in.

Anywho!  At first I was having them use pieces of paper I would tear from a brown paper roll to use as erasers.  You know, the paper towels in bathroom dispensers.  That was just getting tedious and messy.  So, I bought enough felt sheets to make dry erase marker erasers for my students to keep in their binder bag.

They are sold at Walmart for about 20¢ to 25¢ per sheet.  They might be even cheaper at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Be on the lookout for coupons or sales at craft stores to get an even better deal. Another option would be to add it on your school supply list.

I am using these colors for demonstration purposes, but I found out through experience that darker colors like black or dark gray are better.  They hide the dry erase marker stains.

First, I folded the felt piece in half and cut.

Then I folded those pieces in half and cut to make four dry erase marker erasers!

  

As you can see, it really does the trick.  

So if you have a class of 24 students, that's only six felt sheets that cost, at most, $1.50!You can get a class set and it'll cost you pennies per eraser!

Hope this was helpful!

Stay tuned for an update!

My mini erasers are currently in the washing machine and I plan on putting them in the dryer.  I'll keep you posted on how they hold up!

No comments:

Post a Comment