Wednesday, June 1, 2016

The Final Countdown

As I lay here in bed tonight pondering on what tomorrow might bring, I can't help but think to myself, "I can't believe I made it!"

Tomorrow is the last day of school for students and it's considered a half day. We let out at 1:30.  Even though there is a "teacher workday" the following day, I'm still pretty darn excited to close the chapter on this one. I have to admit, it was a pretty rough and tough year.

We started out with five math teachers at the beginning of the year and ended up with three.  In short, a teacher quit early in the year and the rest of the math crew had to take in his students. This  made our class sizes larger. Then, another teacher quit on her kids but didn't quit her job and we had to take in most of her students so they could actually learn something. That means even more kids in our classes.  Alas, with a sense of humor seasoned with a grain of salt, we remained strong and did what we were born to do, teach.

As teachers, imagine the first day of school, or the first week even. Your classroom management, establishing rules and expectations are your main priority, right? When you're done doing that, then the teaching can take place. Now, imagine having to do that over and over with your class sizes increasing and having new students that were behaving in such a way that, well, how shall I put this? Doing whatever they wanted?  (That's the best I could do.) Now they are placed in your clas and you have to "start" all over again!  It is extremely tiring.

Despite all of this, we didn't quit on our students, original or new. We raised our expectations for ALL of them. Of course, some didn't like it. But that's an old story we know all to well. We kept our eyes on that shining light  at the end of that tunnel and prayed it wasn't an on coming train!  

Who are "WE"? Becca, Destiny and myself, Linda!   Three dedicated teachers that stepped up to the plate and did what needed to be done. We supported each other and our students. We vented to each other and laughed about it later. We shared ideas on activities and lessons and we did a great job teaching our kids considering the crazy roller coaster ride we were on.

Yes, I am tooting my own horn. And I am also bragging on these wonderful young ladies that I am proud to call my math crew!!!

Thanks so much Destiny and Becca!!! I can't believe we made it girls, but I am proud to say we did!!!

Onward and upward! With the lessons and challenges WE were given this year, next year is going to be a breeze!!!

;)

No comments:

Post a Comment