Monday, May 2, 2016

Life Size Composite Figures


This is a great activity for a cooperative learning group!

I put students into teams of three to four and gave them the challenge of creating a "Life Size Person" using quadrilaterals, triangles, semi-circles and quarter circles.  I helped them cut the shapes with my paper cutter. All they had to do was tell me where to cut and give me dimensions.  I did this so that the cuts would be straight and easier for them to measure.  Yes!  Measure!  They did that also!  They had to find their dimensions and then use the correct formula to find the area.  
All of their work was shown on the back of their "Life Size Person".  (Next time, I will have them show it on the front.) 

All pieces were taped together on the back.  Great conversations took place as students were creating.  I heard one team even say something about using numbers that were easier to divide by two for the triangles, so that they wouldn't have a decimal answer!  That is a pretty clever observation!



Students also discussed which formulas to use, how to use them and my favorite, "you don't have to divide by two because there are two congruent semi-circles that make a whole circle when put together".


Students also discussed the attributes of the shapes used.
The final product had the total area of the composite figure.

Click HERE for a free copy of the directions sheet!!!

Here is another activity on Area of Composite Figures that will get your students walking and talking about math! Click here!

If you use this activity in your classroom, I would love for you to share the amazing creations your students come up with on this post.  

Thanks for looking and have a great day!!!

2 comments: