Saturday, October 15, 2016

Don't you just love when this happens?

I love teaching my students! I try to make it fun and memorable. Well, today it was proven that I do just that, at least with some.

Here's the story...

I love to craft during my free time. I make jewelry using mostly crystal beads and charms. I've actually turned it into a small business.  I attend craft and peddler shows when I can.  I love to create and meet different people.  I often ask my husband, "How does it feel to be married to an entrepreneur?"  I hope the expression he gives me means that he knows what that word means. Jus' sayin'!

I know! I know!  You're thinking, "What does this have to do with teaching?" Just give me a little time!  I'll get to it.  :D

Well,  I was at a Mini Peddler show that took place in my home town, which happens to be the same place I have taught throughout my entire career.  So there I was, meeting, greeting and crafting.  Then out of no where, one of my former students walks in! A really sweet girl that actually graduated just last year.  She happened to be my student when I was teaching fifth grade.  Now, that was nine years ago!

I know what you're thinking. Wow!  This teacher must be in her twenties!

Anywho, while we were chatting back and forth, two of her younger siblings, a brother and a sister, came over.  She introduced me as her former math teacher and almost immediately their eyes became as huge as saucers! The sister asked in a shocked tone, "You were her teacher?" almost as if it was impossible.  I guess my gray hairs had something to do with that.

Well, the four of us continued to chat. Some of the conversation was about the jewelry I created and some of it was about how she, my former student, was doing.  She told me that she is going to school to become a nurse.  She said she really like helping people and she also loves to bake.

Now, let me give you a little background about this sweet, young girl.  As a student, she was very quiet and a bit shy. She struggled quite a bit in math, but she NEVER gave up!  Just to she how she blossomed and how she shared her future goals with me was the highlight of my day!  I am very proud of her.

As we finished our conversation, she started to walk away but suddenly turned back to face me and with a HUGE smile on her face she said, "Miss, you remember that song? Two, three, five, seven, eleven..."

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!  You see, sometimes our students don't understand or grasp concepts right away, so you have to be creative and give those particular students what works. So, during a prime and composite numbers lesson, I ended up creating a song that would help them remember the prime numbers up to the number fifty. It's a strange but peppy beat and I am proud to say pretty catchy.

When she stopped to tell me that one thing, well, that just made me gulp and smile. Yeah. My eyes also did water up a bit.

I've encountered many former students and our conversations often do lead to "Miss, remember when..."  I love those moments, because they remind me that everything I do in my classroom with my students will impact them in some way.  They will remember.  With that said, I'm going to be sure to give them something wonderful to remember.

:D

Here are the lyrics:

The Prime Number Song

2, 3, 5, 7, 11
Unlucky 13
17 Magazine
19, 23, Michael Jordan's number,
29, the last of the twenties.

31, 37, 41, 47,
"Don't forget about me!" says 43.

I'll try to post a recording later.  


2 comments:

  1. Great story! How does the song go? Music?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff! I'll post the lyrics and maybe later actually how it's sung. In the mean time, you can make your own tune with it. :D

      Delete