Sunday, October 22, 2017

On Target With This Classroom Game!

I know the world we live in today is filled with amazing apps and technology that can be used in our classrooms to engage students and motivate them to participate. However, I wanted to share something I created years ago. I got the idea from one of the 1000+ teacher workshops I attended throughout my career. Every now and then I use it with my students and the reaction is always the same. “Miss! This is so cool!” and “Can we play this everyday?”  The best part is that it can be used in ANY classroom for ANY subject.

Materials needed:
About a yard of felt fabric, preferably a light color
Velcro strips or dots, but only the hook (rough) side
Permanent marker
Ping pong balls
Projector and document camera, such as an E.L.M.O. or an overhead projector
Picture of target with numbers



All I did was tape the felt fabric to the wall and project the picture of the target with the numbers on to it. I then traced the picture with a black permanent marker.  Light colored felt is suggested so that the marker is easy to see.






I then wrapped the ping pong balls with the hoop side of velcro strips. The hoop velcro will latch onto the felt target easily when the ping pong balls are thrown at it.



As you can see above, students throw the ping pong balls onto the target to score points for their team. The balls should be gently thrown underhand. If thrown rapidly or overhand, they will bounce off.  If that happens, students lose a turn. I demonstrate and inform them of this before we begin to play.

Now, how can we use it in class?

So many ways!!!

Divide your class into two teams and have them compete against each other by solving math problems, defining words, spelling, answering questions, etc. whoever gets the answer correct gets to throw a ball at the target and earn points for their team.  The possibilities are endless!!!


I also have students create names for their teams and take score on the dry erase board at the front of my class.

I used this last week and had students practice computation with decimals. I showed them decimal computation problems using PowerPoint slides and had the entire class solve them.  Students used dry erase markers and wrote on their desks to solve. To hold them all accountable for their practice, I don't announce whose turn it is until all have solved the problem. This keeps them on their toes since they don't know who will be chosen to answer for their team.

I then randomly choose a student's name from my set of name cards. That student then gives their answer.  If it is correct the student gets to try and score points for their team by tossing a ping pong ball to the felt target. Their team scores the number of points that the ball lands on.  If the answer is incorrect I randomly chose another student on the opposing team.

I do monitor throughout the activity and assist students that might be stuck or have forgotten a step.

Please share this idea with your colleagues. It certainly can be used in a variety of ways and for many subjects. Can you imagine it for a test review! YAAAAAASSSSSS!!!!

Here is a free powerpoint you can use with it. Just click and download.   Computation Practice with Decimals

I truly hope this is helpful.  Please share your ideas on how you can use it in your classroom!

Thanks for reading and have a great day!!!

2 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful! I could see doing this for a review lesson before a test.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete